A functional core is essential for whole body health. When the core is compromised it can create a whole host of issues further up and down the chain. To address a core issue we therefore need to take a whole body approach rather than just working the abdominals in isolation.
I am a Restorative Exercise Specialist and Restore Your Core Teacher with experience in healing core issues such as diastasis recti and pelvic organ prolapse. In my one to one sessions I assess the overall alignment of the body, movement habits and compensations, gait patterns, breathing mechanics and the ability for the deep core musculature to fire appropriately in order to rehabilitate the core back to optimum health.
Alignment and core function
A healthy core is one that responds reflexively to the tasks we ask of it and this is dependent on the core muscles being in their optimum position so they can work properly.
Both diastasis recti and pelvic organ prolapse are issues caused by too much intra-abdominal pressure. This pressure arises from poor alignment, incorrect breathing habits and muscle imbalances as well as habits such as wearing heeled shoes and sitting all day. In order to heal these core issues it is essential to reduce the pressure in the abdominal cavity.
Once we re-align our body and adjust our habits, posture and gait pattern we can reverse this abdominal pressure and allow our core to fire reflexively and respond appropriately as much or little as it needs to support the rest of the body throughout life.
What is Restorative Exercise?
Restorative Exercise is a whole body alignment and movement program, which restores the body to optimum health. It teaches you how to move in alignment, thereby minimising injury and disease. Developed by the biomechanist Katy Bowman, it applies the principles of physics, geometry and engineering to the human body.
Restorative exercise will help you:
- Understand how alignment affects core function
- Reduce intra-abdominal pressure to restore a functional core
- Improve your daily movement habits and gait pattern
- Learn to breathe properly for optimum core health
- Improve whole body health by reducing wear and tear on the body, increasing circulation and metabolism and decreasing pain and inflammation
What is Restore Your Core?
Restore Your Core is a method to retrain our core and pelvic floor muscles to be functional, reflexive, responsive and supportive to our body. Restore Your Core helps you learn to move better, exercise better, uncover movement compensation patterns and create new patterns of strength, mobility, length and support.
In Restore Your Core you will learn:
- Exercises that restore core and pelvic floor function
- Corrective exercises for your posture and alignment that reduce stress and strain on your core and pelvic floor
- Breathing patterns that support ideal core and pelvic floor function
- And a plethora of tips to help you get the most out of your exercises and daily movements